Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Our Thanksgiving

On Wednesday we headed out a bit earlier than planned for our Thanksgiving break because my cousin, Ashley’s (that is married to Tyler’s best friend) baby girl had been admitted to the hospital for a seizure.  We were so worried for this sweet baby girl.  After having a second seizure while in the hospital, they started a lot of testing.   When we arrived we dropped the little cowboys off with Tyler’s mom and rushed to the hospital.  The baby was heavily medicated and her parents were so tired and worried.  All we could do was pray for answers and for baby Brynlee to get well.  We stayed at my parents’ house with heavy hearts knowing that this poor family would be stuck in the hospital on Thanksgiving.  Luckily Ashley’s parents and sister came to town to help them at the hospital.
Months ago my sister’s in-laws decided to participate in a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning.  My sister invited me and of course I was game.  I also knew my brother-in-law, Russell, would probably run so I asked him to go with us.  On Thanksgiving morning Russell, my dad and I headed out to meet my sister and her in-laws at the race.  Unfortunately, there were over 900 runners at the park so we weren't able to meet up with my sister until after the race.  It was a great time!  This was my dad’s (age 65) first 5k race.  He loved it and says he is ready to start training for the next one.  I had my best 5k time ever!  I ran right at 28 minutes.  The only bad thing is my right knee has been throbbing since the race so I haven’t ran since.  I plan to run this evening since I have rested for several days.
After the race, we went back to my parents and helped my mom finish up the Thanksgiving meal.  My in-laws joined us for Thanksgiving as well as Ashley’s dad and sister.  It felt like a true Thanksgiving with the merge of families.  We all prayed before the meal and said an extra special prayer regarding Brynlee.  After a fabulous meal we received the best Thanksgiving news…  Brynlee was being discharged.  We got to see her shortly before they went home.  The doctors still are puzzled with what caused the seizures but are hopeful is was a fluke incident. 
Since black Friday shopping started earlier everywhere my mom and I started shopping at 6 o’clock on Thursday.  We met up with my sister and her in-laws and were able to shop until about 8am Friday morning.  I got all my Christmas shopping completed except for my in-laws.  I also had to pick up a lot of items for work so it was a successful venture.  I am not a fan of the new Black Friday Thursday.  I wish that we could keep Thanksgiving about family and go back to the early Friday morning sales.  However, I have heard the earlier time structure was a success so I better get used to it.  I'm thinking next year we get the door-busters completed, go home and sleep and then go back out in the morning.  This all night business is hard on a girl!
 Over the weekend we were able to spend time with family and friends.  It was a nice long visit.  We headed back on Sunday afternoon with a pickup full of shopping bags, tired boys and some candy.  Baby Kal is differently our candy man.  Give this boy a sucker and he is entertained for at least 30 minutes, not screaming (which is a true blessing) but covered from head to toe in sticky slobber.  It’s about the give and take...if he’s happy – we’ll take it!   


  1. Your post about Brynlee was so sweet it almost made me cry! Thank you guys for hurrying down to see us and pray for us. We love yall!

    1. We are just so relieved that she is doing well. Love ya'll too! :)