Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekend Whoas

I don't even know where to begin?  Last Friday feels like light-years away.  
The weekend started out great.  The weather was amazing.  When I got off work it was close to 80 degrees, the sun was shining and we had very little wind.  It was the perfect day!  
  My parents and my sister's family arrived in the afternoon.  They had been on spring break and a trip to Kansas was their grand finale.  The guys raced to the golf course while us girls and the little kids played outside and made dinner.  
After dinner, Jacey put the little ones to bed with a bedtime story.  I still can't get over that she is old enough to read so well!  After the little ones were finally asleep we stayed up later than normal and watched a movie with my oldest nephew Jakob.  
On Saturday my sister and I got up early to run the local Shamrock 5K.  
We had a great time.  Samantha has been doing the 'couch to 5K program.'  This was her first time to attempt to run without incorporating walking.  I might have pushed her too much but she did amazing!  We finished at 32:17.  She has a color run this weekend and I know she'll do great.
In the afternoon we went shopping around town and then went bowling.  
Bowling is something that we never do but we had a fun time.  Kallahan might of had the most fun once aunt Samantha showed him how to bowl!
We love our grandma Kak!

    That evening we made a special St. Patty's day meal.  We had our neighbor's famous ribs, green macaroni and cheese, green salad and green rice crispy treats.  The kids loved it!

Saturday evening we noticed that Kallahan was back coughing so Tyler gave him a breathing treatment right after dinner.  He went to bed around 8pm but around 10:30pm he woke up crying.  We decided to let him "cry it out" hoping he would fall back asleep.  However, when Tyler went into his room about 10 minutes later he quickly realized he was having trouble breathing and sounded terrible.  We tried another breathing treatment but we were still very concerned and decided to go ahead and take him to the ER since he didn't seem any better.  After he was evaluated, X-rayed, poked and prodded the ER doctor decided to admit him since his oxygen level was so low.  They thought he might of had an asthma attack or an allergic reaction to his antibiotics he was taking for his bronchitis.
    After some medication to open up his lungs his oxygen thankfully went from the 70s to the 90s.  He slept well through the night.  I sent Tyler home once Kal was asleep (around 2am) and tried to rest myself.  My heart goes out to anyone with hospitalized kids.  It was such a long and worrisome night.  
We were all exhausted the next day.  It was nice that my family was still in town to help with Keeler. Kallahan HATED being cooped up in his hospital room.  He was placed on a liquid diet so on-top of everything else he we was hungry and very cranky.  However, he was feeling better, his fever was down and his oxygen was holding stable in the mid 90s.  Once we finally got the word that he was going to be discharged around 1pm, we let him roam in the hall.  He was so happy!  He ran to the furthest corner of the hospital hall and hid under this chair. 
I don't know what this silly guy was thinking (if I hide they cannot take me back to THAT room!).  We were all so relieved to go home and very thankful that he was feeling better.  Thank you to all our family & friends for the prayers and support :)
Yesterday we had a follow-up with Kal's regular doctor.  He said that he thinks Kal has the croup by the sound of his cough and cry.  He agreed with the medication and treatment from the hospital so we'll continue on that path.  
However, when we got home I got a call that his doctor had noticed something in the ER X-ray after we left.  He noticed that his right heart boundaries appear larger than his left which could indicate a left to right shunt.  He has been referred for an Echocardiogram.  So now we have an appointment in Wichita at the Kansas Kids Heart Center in mid April.
 We are trying hard to not get worked up as we really don't know what any of this means.  It really might not be anything.  His regular doctor has gone out of town now and researching online just confuses me.  I debated about sharing this but I just ask that you keep our precious little cowboy in your prayers.  
It was amazing how quickly things turned and made us realize more than ever how blessed we are.  
Also, please pray for my cousin's little one, Brynlee, as she has been having unexplained seizures.  She is scheduled for a sleep deprived EEG on Friday and then will go to Cook's Children's in Fort Worth.  We hope and pray that nothing is serious.   


  1. So sorry to hear about Kalahan being sick and in the hospital. We will remember him and you in our prayers. Health issues are always worrisome. For the most part it usually turns out okay but until you find out...

  2. Just getting caught up on my blog reading! What a weekend! Glad everyone is okay - our thoughts prayers and care bear stares to you and yours!